- Feb 24, 2023
E-guide: Breastfeeding 101
Of the many things that make motherhood challenging, one is certainly breastfeeding. How can something be so 'natural' can be so incredibly hard? So many questions arise including the first latch, the logistics, the pains, the mental struggles, and whether or not you should even be breastfeeding in the first place.
If you are overwhelmed with the world of breastfeeding, start with this e-guide - written by a team of lactation consultants, nutritionist, and mums who have been there.
What's my size?
Why Choosing the Right Shield Size is Important?
Breast shields are sometimes also called flanges. While comfort is often the driving determinant in figuring out the right size, using the correct sized breast shield will also make your pumping more efficient. Pumping can be hard enough on its own but having an unfitting shield may impact the amount of milk you are able to pump. It’s good to keep in mind that the right breast shield size may change over the course of your pumping and nursing journey, so it’s a good idea to check occasionally you are still using the right size. Or you might find that your breasts need different shield sizes – that’s normal too. Remember, pumping shouldn’t hurt!
The starting point for choosing the correct breast shield is to determine your optimal size based on your nipple diameter.
Up to 17mm
17mm - 20mm
20mm - 25mm
Getting your sizing right
Since your breast shield size is also dependent on breast tissue and skin elasticity, it’s important to confirm you’ve chosen the correct size. Here’s how to check:
- Using the 24 mm breast shields included with your pump (or the size chosen after measuring your nipples), centre your nipple and gently hold the breast shield against your breast.
- Adjust your breast pump’s vacuum through stimulation all the way up to a slightly uncomfortable vacuum, and then down one notch.
- When your breast shield fits correctly, your nipple will be centred in the breast shield tunnel and will move freely during pumping
It’s worth resizing the shield if you struggle with the following:
- Your nipple is rubbing the sides of the breast shield tunnel to the point of causing discomfort.
- You see excessive areola being pulled into the breast shield tunnel.
- You have redness on or at the base of the nipple during and/or after pumping.
- Your nipples or areola are turning white during and/or after pumping.
- Your breasts still feel full after pumping.
Meet the Award-winning Smart Electric Breast Pump
Compact design for easy cleaning & pumping on the go
Pump quietly and discreetly
Save time and pump directly into milk bags
Smart touch screen for easy tracking of pumping sessions
Hospital-grade suction level helps increase milk supply
Closed system to prevent breastmilk from backing up
Need advice? Ask our lactation experts, free of charge.
No additonal information available.
Free Shipping for orders over 49€/45£
EU (except Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Cyprus, Malta, Islands of Spain, and Islands of Portugal) are free for orders over 49€.
UK deliveries are free for orders over 45£.
Europe and North America
We offer deliveries to Europe and North America from our online store.
- Finland shipping (Posti ) - 6.90 €
- EU shipping (GLS) - 9.90 €
- UK shipping (Parcel Force) - 9.90 €
- Ireland shipping (An Post) - 6.90 €
Norway + Switzerland shipping (GLS) - 9.90 €
- Cyprus + Malta shipping (GLS) - 19.90€
- Iceland shipping (DHL, Express Worldwide) - from 19.90 €
- Islands of Spain (Canary Islands, Baleares, Ceuta, and Melilla) - from 19.90€
- Islands of Portugal (postal codes 9000000-9999999) - from 19.90€
- USA + Canada shipping (DHL, Express Worldwide) - 9.90 $
Rest of the world
Rest of the world - We are unable to provide shipping outside Europe and North America at this time. Please contact us for further information at email@example.com.
We offer easy returns within the EU and North America.
See more information here.